Freitag, April 14, 2006

Interview with Mr Lefkovits

When and how did you came to Bergen-Belsen?
"I came in January 1945 with my mother to Ravensbrück. We arrived in Celle by train and then the death march to Bergen-Belsen began. We were very weak and had no power and because of that many people died. On this death march I was carried by a girl I new from Slowakia, because I was not able to walk anymore. The girl was ca. 16 years old."

"What did you do during your time in Bergen- Belsen?"
"We did not do anything except sitting in the huts. When we walked outside, which was very dangerous, we either walked to the latrine oder drank something. All of that was very hard, because everyone was ill and had typhus."

"What did you eat and drink?"
"We didn't have anything, but there were waterbasins, which where so dirty, that if somebody would have drank from them, he would either have died or it was forbidden. So you had to decide if you want to die because of the dirty water oder because of thirst."

"Do you think the fact that you have been with your mother, helped her to survive?"
"Yes, of course, because she had to care for me, which gave her a reason to try to survive. For me it was the reason that I felt protected by my mother, which made live easier for me."

"What did you feel in the moment of the liberation?"
"I did not feel anything, when the camp was liberated by the English Army. We were even to weak to go with some others out of the huts. After the liberation on the 15th April 1945 we still had no water. The real day of the liberation for me was 48 hours later, on 17th April 1945, when we finally got some water."

"What happened to your brother?"
"Somebody told me that he died in Ravensbrück, four days before the liberation. Later I met somebody who was probably the last one who met him before he died."

"Can you tell us more about your brother?"
"I remember, that we were send to an orphanage, because our parents wanted to protect us. I was only 7 and my brother was 13 years old. He told me that he does not want to stay any longer, so we ran away until we reached our home. Later, after the war, a woman from the orphanage told me that all 17 children who lived in the orphanage survived, all, except my brother."

"What do you feel today when you go to Bergen-Belsen and do you think that some huts for example should be rebuilt again?"
"I do not feel anything and I do not think that anything should be rebuilt here again. I think it is good as it is."

Thank you very much for the Interview. We still have a lot of qustions, but unfortunately no time left. We wish you a healthy and long live.

(Annika from Germany, Niva from Israel)